Environmental Advisory Board
Interested in serving? Complete the interest form.
This new advisory board was created in September 2019. The charter ordinance lists the following as duties to be performed by the board:
- Advise the Environmental Committee of the Apex Town Council regarding suggested changes to town policy or ordinance related to the environment and the Planning Committee of the Apex Town Council regarding suggested changes to town policy or ordinance related to the impacts of development upon the environment.
- Review, with applicants, during the pre-application phase of a proposal, all requests for rezoning and recommend zoning conditions to the applicant and Town Council that will mitigate anticipated impact to the natural environment as a result of the project under consideration.
- Advocate for managing environmental resources in a way that reflects the community’s values.
- Acknowledge, review, and mitigate effects of climate change by recommending incentives for: (a) Maintaining and acknowledging the natural terrain, to the extent reasonable and practicable.
(b) Maintaining and encouraging native plant and wildlife species.
(c) Utilizing environmentally responsible building practices.
(d) Improving the bicycle and pedestrian environment.
(e) Improving water quality.
(f) Consideration for the visual aesthetics as it pertains to the natural environment.
(g) Preserving and/or improving shade/tree canopy.
- Maintain and improve current environmental protections.
- Identify Apex resources for further protection (i.e. natural heritage areas).
- Support the town’s efforts to: (a) Improve efficiency within town facilities.
(b) Reduce waste.
(c) Reduce town’s carbon footprint.
(d) Reach the Town’s goal of achieving 100% clean energy by 2050.
- Act as a proactive vehicle for community feedback on environmental issues (i.e. surveys, crowd sourcing, social media, public forums, newspaper articles).