Since 1917 Apex has owned and operated its own electric distribution system for service to customers within the town limits of Apex, parts of Cary and some rural areas. There are currently 3 substations and approximately 315 miles of distribution lines. We provide electricity to approximately 14,300 metered residential and commercial customers.
Apex is affiliated with ElectriCities, a not-for-profit association of 99 members representing Public Power communities in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia that distribute electricity. Fifty-one of them are also participants in either North Carolina Municipal Power Agency Number 1 or North Carolina Eastern Municipal Power agency, which also generate the power supplied to over 400,000 customers.
ElectriCities is a support association providing information and training support to organization members. All policies and rates are adopted by the local elected body and Apex operates as an independent entity. Visit the ElectriCities or Public Power websites for additional information.
Apex provides a premium level of service for customers by being "close to home.” In the event of a storm or other problems, our linemen are nearby, ready to respond, and very knowledgeable of the system and how it operates.
Our electric division includes 30 employees consisting of:
- 1 Electric Utility Director
- 1 Sr. Utility Customer Service Specialist
- 1 Electric Technical Services Manager
- 1 Electric Electric Operations Manager
- 1 Sr. Electrical Projects Manager
- 1 Electric Engineering Technician
- 2 Power Line Arborist
- 4 Power Line Right-of-Way Technicians
- 1 Sr. Electric Technical Services Specialist
- 1 Electric Technical Services Specialist
- 4 Electric Crew Field Supervisors
- 3 Sr. Electric Line Technicians
- 2 Electric Line Technician II
- 3 Electric Line Technician I
- 2 Electric Line Technician Trainee
- 2 Utility Locate Technicians