GoApex and Regional Transit
Use this page to learn more about three regional bus routes serving Apex and the Town’s effort to launch the first local bus route. Any questions regarding transit service in Apex should be referred to Allyson Coltrane (email Allyson Coltrane) or phone at (919) 249-1240.
GoApex Route 1
The Town of Apex is working to launch the first local transit route, GoApex Route 1. The route is anticipated to begin in Summer 2021. It will be free to the public, and will provide hourly trips from 6:00 AM – 10 PM, Monday – Saturday. The Town plans to partner with GoCary to provide the fixed route service and GoWake Access to provide the complementary ADA paratransit service. The Town is currently working on bus stop design. For updates on GoApex Route 1 and the start of service, sign up for emails below.
Transit Circulator Study
The Town completed a study in June 2020 to inform the plans for GoApex Route 1. The study considered the route, stops, fare, schedule, cost, and marketing.
There are three regional routes operated by transit partners that serve the Town of Apex. Read more to learn about the GoCary ACX (service between Apex and Cary), GoTriangle Route 305 (service between Apex, Holly Springs, and Raleigh), and GoTriangle Route 311 (service between Apex and RTP).
GoCary Apex-Cary Express (ACX):
Apex to Cary
Additional Information:For more information on the ACX click here. Click on map to expand view.
GoTriangle Route 305:
Raleigh - Apex - Holly Springs
Additional Information:For more information on Route 305 click here . Click on map to expand view.
GoTriangle Route 311
Apex to RTP
Additional Information:For more information on Route 311 click here. Click on map to expand view.
*Route 311 is not in service at this time.
The Town is working on plans to provide complementary ADA service through a partnership with Wake County. This service is intended for residents who are unable to utilize GoApex Route 1 due to a disability. Origins and destinations must be within ¾ mile of GoApex Route 1. Residents will need to provide a day’s notice to reserve a ride.
More information about applying for and using this service will be provided soon. Sign up below to receive updates.
GoWake Access – Van Reservation Service
GoWake Access is a reservation-based van service operated by Wake County. Rides are available to residents of Wake County who reside outside of urbanized areas, have a disability, are 60 or older, are Veterans, or need work-related transportation.
For trip information and reservations visit Wake Human Services or call (919) 212-7005.
Advance Apex was a 20-month planning process conducted between July 2017 and February 2019 that resulted in two plans – a long-range transportation plan and an updated future land use map. For more information on Advance Apex please click and see
North Carolina Department of Transportation Transit-Oriented Development Study
The Town of Apex will be participating in a regional study led by the North Carolina Department of Transportation to plan for development around future passenger rail service. This study will focus on passenger rail along the existing “S-Line” corridor which starts at the Virginia border, passes through Apex, and ends at the South Carolina state line. More information is available at:Sign up for email updates below to be included on future information from the Town regarding this upcoming study.
Wake County Transit Plan
In 2016 a 10-year vision for enhanced transit across Wake County, the Wake Transit Plan, was adopted. The Wake Transit Plan includes four big moves that will benefit the Town of Apex and the region:
- Big Move 1: Connect Regionally
- Commuter rail from Garner to Durham with stations in Raleigh, Cary and Morrisville
- GoTriangle Express Bus service between Raleigh, RDU Airport, RTP, and Chapel Hill
- Big Move 2: Connect all Wake Communities
- Service to all 12 municipalities in Wake County
- Includes all-day hourly bus service from Apex to Raleigh
- Includes an hourly connection available during mornings and evenings from Holly Springs through Apex to Cary and RTP
- Big Move 3: Frequent, Reliable, Urban Mobility
- Bus Rapid Transit in Raleigh and Cary along New Bern Avenue, Capital Boulevard, South Wilmington Street, and Western Boulevard
- 15-minute, all-day bus service on high-demand routes in Raleigh and Cary
- Big Move 4: Enhance Access to Transit
- Community Funding Areas, like Apex, are eligible to receive matching funding to provide local service
- Additional funding for GoWake Access
- Investment in better stops, shelters, and access to stop facilities
The Town of Apex is actively participating in the implementation of the Wake County Transit Plan:
- The Town of Apex provides a voting member to serve on the Transit Planning Advisory Committee (TPAC), the technical team charged with implementing the Wake Transit Plan.
- A citizen advisory committee, the Town of Apex Transit Committee, will serve as a liaison between TPAC and the community, and will help to guide the future of transit in Apex by making recommendations regarding transit service to the Town’s Planning Board and Town Council.
- Updates to the Town’s Transit Plan Map were made through the adoption of Advance Apex: The 2045 Transportation Plan
- The Western Wake Comprehensive Operations Analysis was prepared by the Town of Cary in partnership with the Town of Apex and the Town of Morrisville. The purpose of this analysis was to identify potential transit ridership in the three towns and assess strengths and opportunities of transit service in western Wake County.
Want to keep track of transit updates in Apex?
Sign up at the bottom of the page for email alerts from the Town of Apex. You must sign up with each transit service provider for service alerts along specific routes.
GoCary Service Alerts:
For more information about the Apex-Cary Express (ACX) or other GoCary routes go to the top right corner of the GoCary page and click the highlight text "Service Alert".
GoTriangle Service Alerts:
For more information about Route 305 or other GoTriangle routes go to the top right corner of the GoTriangle page and click the highlight text "Service Alert".
GoApex Route 1:
What's better than letting someone do the driving for you? Not paying for the trip! GoApex Route 1 will be free to everyone. To get pricing on fares and passes for GoCary and GoTriangle please the links below.
Town of Apex Transit Advisory Committee
Town of Apex Advisory Committee reviews transit plans and services and provide recommendations regarding revisions and/or approval to the Mayor and Town Council.
Transit Advisory Committee Meetings
Regular meetings are held on the second Wednesday of every quarter (every three (3) months) at 4:00pm. For more information please visit the transit advisory committee page.